Wednesday, March 16, 2016

My sister my friend

My sister my friend.

It's been a painful experience and with no sleep and just lost in thought. Still wondering how you just left without notice. Anyway as much as its this painful I leave it to God.

In 1975 new year's eve my mum gave birth to her first born child. That was a bundle of joy not just to her and my dad but to the entire clan, she was the first of a kind and the first grand child to be born. Her name: Winnie Loice Atieno Rambo. A bundle of joy my grandma called her sweetie and that was the first time I ever heard that name called out to someone. My grandad called her baby. For a while it used to puzzle me why a grown child would be called baby. With a smile that never left her face she would share it with anyone who came her way. She was an only child for a reason ally long while and I showed up to be her brother. She taught me how to be man and defend myself. Being the two of us before the other siblings showed up was great. She would scare me to toughen me up and always told me to be brave. She thought me how to fight from the numerous fights we had. I learnt how to defend myself the hard way and I thank her for that. Mum raised us to be independent and she would cook and cook good. Getting home to eat her food was pure heavenly. I always knew she was there and will bath me and feed me.  One morning in a normal routine before going to school she made the and instead of having sugar in it she added salt instead. That was one crazy experience and mum would be Waiting with her slippers to correct you.

Winnie loved her sleep and would do it without question. During the apartheid in South Africa she called herself Winnie Mandela. She did admire her persistence during the struggle. I knew nothing, I was a kid who just loved his sister and her stories which would leave you in stitches always. She introduced me to Keith sweat, heavy D, Brandy, R Kelly, Babyface, SWV and my all time crush Monica. I love my music and because of her I got to know music and in it I find peace that is unmatched. When in highschool she would close school or during visiting days of her ordeals with  sister Agatha who dint  like her for everything. Including being beautiful. Talking of beautiful, men would not dare look her way. You would end up being in my Dad's wrong books and I mean he is the chief Rambo and warrior at heart.

When I finished my highschool she was already doing what she loved, being an English teacher. She had an amazing love for language and just the queens language and this is the queen of England. I went to stay with her and her family and the care she gave me was out of this world. In that state I would have missed my mum and looking for her but she made me feel at home and at ease. Any food I wanted she cooked for me.

Growing up sucks cause it keeps us away and busy to hangout as we used to. I got to university and she followed me she lived just next to my school. I would go have super most of the evenings coz I misused my pocket Money on things I can't say here. She was always there. I knew I'm covered. The last time we had time to just us we had lunch in Nairobi and as usual she bought me the lunch and we spoke close to over an hour just catching up. We grew older and stayed miles apart and didn't meet as much as we used to meet.  I will say this I hate growing up. On 9th Feb you just left with no notice and for real death picks the best and has no manners at all. You had to just take her this soon. I always knew there is an elder one who covers me. I'm so exposed Now without you. 

It's been a hard hit and a sad week for me. You gave us joy and helped me brave up. I owe so much to you. The times you washed me after school and fed me. I pray for mum for she lost her first child and nothing hurts like loosing your child. I have lost my friend one who played her role well to be the elder one. Each day will be harder but the good Lord will comfort and give me  peace. Full of love and life. You loved beautiful things just like you....may the good Lord Rest your Soul in peace.

I love girl always

No comments: